Review: S&M ATF




This USA made all terrain frame weighs in at 4.65 pounds and features a butted Super Therm tubeset, removable seatstay located thread on 990 brake mounts, no threads for removable gyro tabs, integrated seat clamp, top and downtube gussets, and an integrated headtube.



Top Tube Length: 20", 20.25", 20.5", 20.75", 21", 21.25"
 As for the toptube, in the past I have ridden 20.75 frames exclusively, but the shorter length gave me enough room and allowed easier manipulation of the bike.  At this point in time, I am 5'5" tall, and  will be getting a 20.4" toptube for my next frame if possible to allow for a bit more leg room while maintaining a shorter, more easily maneuverable feeling frame.  

Chainstay Length: 13.4"-13.875"
Usually, I prefer a frame with a chainstay length of 13.5" or more, but 13.4 was a good fit for my preferences. It was short enough to make spins easier, but long enough to keep the bike stable for faster street riding, but too short and twitchy for big park transfers and trails.

Head Tube Angle: 75 degrees
The 75* headtube was steep enough for easy nose manuals, but slack enough to allow tons of stability at high speeds.  In the future, I would prefer a 74.5* head tube purely because of personal preferences.

Seat Tube Angle: 71 degrees
71* is the typical angle, anything less allows more legroom while retaining a shorter effective toptube, no complaints here.

Bottom Bracket Height: 11.7"
I felt like this was a good choice for bb height, nothing I would really change.

Bottom Bracket Type: Mid BB
Mid BB are the most common and are fairly easy to install.  Please use a block of wood and a rubber mallet when installing any bottom bracket to prevent damage to the frame.

Standover Height (Seat Tube Length):  8.5"
A standover height of 8.5 was a good middle ground between the usual range of standover heights, so any terrain was a breeze.

Dropouts: 6mm, 4Q heat treated
The dropouts didn't bend and fit my plastic pegs and hub guards well, no complaints here.

For the type of riding I do, I give the geometry of this frame a 9/10

I rode this frame about 85% of the time on street, 10% in parks, and 5% on trails.
For street: The geometry felt great for grinds, spins and pretty much anything else.  the dropouts and the chainstays and bottom tube took multiple hard slams but did not dent.
Rating for street riding: 10/10

For park: Felt great, maybe a little bit short for higher speed transfers and  massive flyouts, but was fine.
Rating for park: 7/10

For trails; I really 100% do not recommend this frame for trails.  Don't let the "all terrain frame" name fool you, this frame is not designed for trails and you will have a hard time.  I managed to figure out how to clear the entire set of jumps at my local trails, but it felt extremely unstable and twitchy in the air.  If you want to ride trails, look for a frame with a 74.5* headtube and a chainstay of at least 13.5.
Rating for trails: 2/10

Overall, this is a durable and middle of the road geometry wise, but it really shines in street, not so much park, and definitely not trails.  Perfect for those of you who prefer a more stable street frame but still like to have a snappy feeling frame.
My verdict: 8.5/10 overall for street and light park


No comments:

Post a Comment